by: Angel Villafuerte
This is an advocacy project in continuance to similar ones held in 2011, Access 2020: Adventure Race and in 2014 Access 2020: Race to Success. The theme for this present project, being the climax is PWDs’ Accessibility to Establishments, Education, Transportation, Livelihood and Employment. With the prelude activity this year, the highlight shall be main events next year.
Though the clamour of PWDs for equal rights and opportunities continues, we are grateful to the national government, institutions and some private entities for advocating the cause of PWDs. The 20% discount for PWDs’ basic needs and services is much appreciated together with universities/colleges pursuing education for PWDs as well as some private companies implementing the Accessibility Law for their establishments as well as employing PWDs in their working force. The quest continues to further strengthen this advocacy for the benefit of more PWDs. The quest likewise continues for PWDs’ more accessibility in the metropolis especially through wheelchair friendly establishments, streets and pavements as they go through their daily routine. Thus, fortifying and promoting Accessible Tourism.
Likewise, this project aims to achieve accessible transportation for PWDs to include them in the mass transit services as well as provide optimum transportation services in airlines and other modes of transportation in our society. Furthermore, this project emphasizes the accessibility to more scholarship assistance, livelihood and employment for PWDs. This project also aims to partner with government agencies, private companies and associations, disabled people’s organizations and civil societies for the accomplishment of objectives.
- To uplift the lives of PWDs in the Philippines.
- To include PWDs in community and social development especially through accessibility to establishments, education, transportation, livelihood, and employment.
- To create stronger voice for the rights of PWDs especially in the stronger implementation of PWD-laws as they achieve equal rights and opportunities.
- To advocate for the cause of PWDs as they become contributing members of the society.
- Prelude Activity 2019 (selling of tumblers, t-shirts, mugs)
- Main events by July 2020 (NDPR week in partnership with main partners & government agencies NCDA, DOT, DOTR, etc.)
- Route in the Metropolis (use of LRT/MRT; visit university belt & tourist spot; promoting accessibility, education & transportation)
- Airline service for PWDs (promoting airline services for PWDs)
- Entrepreneurship (promoting livelihood & employment with possibility of microfinance opportunity for PWDs)
- Wheelathon and Raffle at SM Supermall (SM East Ortigas grounds and activity center; December 2020, International Disability Day)